Saturday, October 12, 2013


Saturday, October 12, 2013

What a great day today!   We slept in a bit and woke up to the ship getting situated in the harbor (It’s kind of a shudder as the side thrusters make the ship move).  Going out on our verandah we saw the beautiful port of Split Croatia.  We went for breakfast and then on to the galley tour.  Not as in-depth as I would have liked but after cooking Wednesday night meals for our church for six years I can really appreciate what it takes to feed that many people.

We got our tickets to get on the tender to go to the port.  We had made reservations for a Segway tour of Split and found our tour guides on the palm-fringed waterfront Riva.  We got on our Segways and it was like riding a bike, we all took to it right away which made our guides happy.  They were wonderful and we really enjoyed our time with them. 

The first thing they did was take us up the limestone mountain into the park, stopping along the way to take pictures of the beautiful landscape.  There were several places we stopped and each time the view was more beautiful.  There were old churches built on the mountain side, beautiful beaches, pines trees that smelled heavenly, and houses on the park property that had beautiful gardens and flowers.  We get to the top and there is a beautiful huge white cross and the Croatian flag and a view of the city that was spectacular. 



 

The trip back down the mountain was fast because there was no stopping on the way.  Then we went to the Diocletian’s Palace.  Made of stone it was built as a retirement home for a Roman emperor between 295 and 305 AD.  A beautiful bell tower is another prominent site in the city.





 
 
I have to say that at the top of the mountain we saw the cross and my sister pointed out that the sun was shining through right on top of the cross.  It was .... heavenly!
 
 
 
It was a great day. 







 
 
We made our way back to the tender to take us back to the ship.   It was about dinner time and we had dinner with our favorite waiter and then wandered around the ship.  Now off to bed. 
 
I know I posted a lot of pictures... but I couldn't not.  It was too beautiful!

Tomorrow we’ll be in Kotor, Montenegro (formerly Yugoslavia).  No specific plans but we’ll go into the city and wander around.

I just have to say that when the six of us get together we have such a great time.  We laugh and sing and smile and try to drag others along with us in the fun.  I really enjoy the time we spend together and am thankful for my sisters.

The fun continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment